Painting is a process of applying color and giving shape to the ideas of mind on the sheet. You always need support while Painting on the canvas board and some time to adjust the angle of the frame.
An Easel is an instrument which is used to provide support to the canvas board or frames and the easel allows artists to paint in an upright position.
In the earlier times, Paint artist used to use the easel so that they could get good support while painting on canvas boards, frames or sheets. They were able to paint easily by keeping their painting on the easel.
Nowadays people use an easel to hold their paintings in exhibitions or to display. There are many benefits of using easel one of them is that it helps you to maintain a good posture and another one is you can easily change the angle of the frame. Easels have different sizes and shapes.
Types of Easels
.Single mast easels
.Plein air easels
.Tabletop art easels
1. Convertible easels: Convertible easels are also known as Hybrid Easels. It is convertible from normal (standard upright) to tabletop easels. Acrylic painters and oil painters work with the upright paintings on an easel on another side watercolor painters and pastel artists use horizontal surface such as tabletop. whenever you need both kinds of surfaces then this (convertible easels) undoubtedly best for you.
2. Single Mast Easels: Single Mast Easels are used to work in a studio. It is very much suitable for a beginner. It’s a lack of portability. It is simple and easily available at an affordable price. single mast easels are easy to store.
3. Plein air easels: Plein air easels which are also known as a portable or french easel. It has three legs looks like a tripod and it is great to work with it at outdoor locations because it is easy to carry.
4. H-frame easels: H-frame easels are moveable because it has wheels at the bottom and has a strong base than A-frame easels. It is not easy to fold and it makes a structure like an alphabet “H”. It is great for studio space but not for the room. It allows you to handle large size canvas on it.
5. A-frame easels: A-frame easels are also known as Lyre easels because it has total three legs two at the front and one at the back, it make a triangular shape and head part of the easels make “A” Alphabet that why it is known as A-frame easels.it is easy to fold. Beginners to professional every artist can you use it. You can easily store them for a specific part of the time.
6. Tabletop art easels: Tabletop art easels are great for those who prefer to work in a setting manner on a desk. It is used for drawing or painting too. It is easy to store and moveable. Tabletop Easel is available in A-frame easels, H-frame easels and single mast designs.
7. Giant easels: Giant easels are used by those artists who have artwork on a large scale. Giant easels are strong and well built to support weight and larger size canvases. These type of easels bulky and heavy in weight. this one is not easy to move and store for a long time.
8. Display Easels: Display easels are also known as decorator easels. They are just for displaying artworks, not for painting. It is used in art galleries and painting exhibitions.
Which Is The Best Easel for Artist?
An Easel is good for its stability to give support. in all these different types of easels mentioned above several are best for you as a beginner artist. With my personal experience, you must go with the entry-level A-frame or H-frame easel. And for the professional artist to use in the studio, H-frame easel and single mast easel is perfect for them. For large artworks convertible easels, tabletop easels are great. Always buy that one easel which suits your artwork.
Painting at the easels helps you to create a perfect painting. you can easily analyze painting work on it. you can buy all the different kind of easels according to your painting need.